|Banana cupcakes with chocolate frosting.....*Homer SImpson-like gargle*|
You will need:
For the cupcakes
- 120g plain flour
- 140g caster sugar
- 1tbsp baking powder
- 1tsp ground ginger
- A pinch of salt
- 80g unsalted butter
- 120ml milk (for best results use whole milk)
- 2 egss
- 120g banana, peeled and mashed
- 12 hole cupcake or muffin tray lined with paper cases
For the icing
- 300g sifted icing sugar
- 100g unsalted butter
- 40g sifted cocoa powder
- 40ml milk
- Preheat the oven to 170°c (Gas mark 3)
- Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, salt and butter in an electric mixer using the paddle attachment (alternatively, use a handheld electric whisk) and beat the ingredients together on a slow speed. Continue until the mixture has a similar consistency to sand and everything has been combined.
- Slowly pour the milk into the created mixture. Continue beating well until everything has been blended well.
- Add the eggs and again, beat well. Ensure you scrape any mixture from the sides of the bowl with a spatula and stir in.
- Stir in the mashed banana by hand.
- Spoon the mixture into the waiting cases. Try not to fill beyond about 2/3 capacity. If you have extra mixture, make extra cupcakes rather than over-filling!
- Bake in the oven for approx 20 minutes. Or until the sponge is lightly golden and a skewer comes out clean.
- Whilst the cupcakes are cooling on a wire rack, make the icing!
- Put the icing sugar, butter and cocoa powder together and use the mixer (or handheld whisk) on a medium speed.
- Turn down to slow speed to add the milk one spoonful at a time.
- Once the milk has been fully mixed, turn up to high speed and beat until the icing is fluffy. This can take up to 5 minutes, so be patient!
- Once done, top the cupcakes with the icing and decorate however you wish. I find simple grated chocolate works best.
This recipe is from The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook. It is full of easy, professional looking and beautiful tasting recipes. Highly recommended!