You will need:
- 2tsp cumin seeds
- Large pinch of chilli flakes
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 5oz red split lentils
- 1.5 pint vegetable stock, or water
- 14oz can of tomatoes, whole or chopped
- 8oz can of chickpeas, or 1/2 a can (up to you!)
- Small bunch of coriander, roughly chopped (alternatively, use ground coriander)
- 4tbsp 0% Greek yoghurt, to serve
Heat a large saucepan and dry fry the cumin seeds and chilli flakes for a minute. Or until they start to jump around the bottom of the pan and start to release their scents.
Add the onion and oil to the pan and cook for 5 minutes.
Stir in the lentils, stock and tomatoes and bring it all to the boil.
Simmer for 15 minutes or until the lentils have softened.
Use a hand blender on the mixture, or pop it into a food processor until it reaches the consistency you want.
Pour the soup back into the pan to heat, add the chickpeas and season.
Serve with a dollop of yoghurt and some coriander leaves (if using).